Monday, November 29, 2010

AT&T - Death of an Icon

Way back when, I bought my first cell phone.  I used it to make phone calls to Europe for $2.80 per minute.  Hard to believe that now. 

I eventually got around to doing some research and was soon paying 1/10 that amount.  AT&T then called me and asked why I changed services.  When I told them the price difference, he countered with "We will give those calls for $1.65 a minute."  This came right after I told him I was paying $.29 a minute.

What would make him think I would take such a deal.

Later, AT&T quoted me an internet connection price from London and then later charged me 10 times what they quoted saying "I had failed to use the minimum number of minutes" or something like that.  I then swore off AT&T forever.

They later collapsed and were purchased by Cingular who then decided to keep using the AT&T name.

Now, all that AT&T has going for it is the iphone.  However, the iphone has been hacked and the unlock instructions are readily available on the internet.  Also, Verizon will soon have the iphone in its stable of stars.

My company, for some reason, still has AT&T internet service.  The brag about how fast they are and right now, I am uploading a video at .21 Mps.  This is almost dial-up speed.

AT&T, you are history.  Thanks for stopping by.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia