Thursday, November 11, 2010

MicroSoft Office Suite 2007

The good news here is that they managed to spell the "Office" correctly.

There is no other good news to report.

I sometimes go shopping at Costco, a warehouse store, and find that they have moved everything around.  I think they do this so you have to look for what you want instead of going straight to it.  While you are looking, you might find something you didn't know you need until you saw it.  So, they moved the stuff around for a reason.

MicroSoft Office 2007 is the same as Office 2003 with everything moved around.  They did this for a reason.  They wanted an excuse to put another product on the market.  There is nothing new here.  Sure, the experts will tell you that some obscure functionality has been improved but basically, its the same thing with a different look.

This may sound like I am indifferent; as if I'm saying "The chair was over there and now it's over here."  This is not the case. 

Here, different means much, much worse.

Why?

First of all, you need to learn the software all over from scratch.  I have heard that people who have never used Office before have no problem with this.  As for us that have been using this software for years, it's a pain in the ass.

Secondly, it's incompatible with earlier versions of Office.  Sure, I can open a Word file with either but that is about the extent of the compatibility.  For example, take a PowerPoint 2003 and open it in PowerPoint 2007 and try to change the background on the master slid.  Didn't work did it?

Thirdly, the software is as prone to crashing as Windows Vista.  I have learned to save my work frequently because I never know when the program is going to crash.

I have not use Office 2010, but from what I can tell, it's the same as Office 2007 but in a box with a different label.

I give it my lowest rating: ZERO stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia